Community Service Program Areas
Our club and members are encouraged to select a “program of work” wherein their interest lies. We work within Five Community Service Program areas. There is something for everyone who becomes a member of the our Club and GFWC Federation. Each Community Service Program has an area where club members work to improve their communities through different projects.
Arts & Culture Community Service Program
The study of art and culture enriches the human experience. Art education improves problem solving and critical thinking skills, builds focus and perseverance, and nurtures creativity, confidence, and collaboration.
Examples of projects/actvities:
- Sponsor a Youth Art Contest during Youth Art Month in March. Art for Youth
- Foster Community Art
- Member Craft Competition
- Photography & Member Writing Contests
- Youth Writing & Art Contests
Civic Engagement & Outreach Community Service Program:
The GFWC Civic Engagement and Outreach Community Service Program reminds GFWC members that each of us is a part of a larger society and is responsible for undertaking actions that will create a better quality of life and foster a sense of community— locally, regionally, nationally, and globally. The four “broad strokes” of this effort include: Citizenship; Crime Prevention, Safety, and Disaster Preparedness; the Needy, Hungry, and Homeless; and Our Military Personnel and Veterans.
Examples of projects/actvities.
- Support/aid women veterans
- Citizenship Participation
- Community Safety
- Home & Vehicle Safety
Education & Libraries Community Service Program:
GFWC members promote education in both children and adults. We aim to help others, while we also continue to learn. Projects in the Education Community Service Program are designed to foster schools, as well as other educational institutions and opportunities, and to promote literacy, libraries, and the love of a good book. Through these efforts, we encourage the growth of individuals and communities at home and around the world.
Examples of projects/activities:
- Adult Literacy Family Literacy
- Youth Literacy Tutoring
Our organizations also partners and supports: Hugh O’Brian Youth Leadership (HOBY)
Environment Community Service Program
The GFWC Environment Community Service Program encourages us to become stewards of the earth by working to preserve the world’s resources, protect wildlife and domesticated animals, live sustainably, and beautify our communities and enjoy nature.
Examples of Program projects:
- Community Beautification Projects
- Tree-Planting and Preservation Projects
- Litter Prevention and Climate Change Projects
Health & Wellness Community Service Program
The human body, mind, and spirit comprise our health and wellness. To improve our wellbeing, we must address three key components: nutrition, disease prevention, and physical and emotional care. This Program aims to explore the various opportunities for awareness and advancement of each of these vital areas.
- Hunger in America
- Healthy Lifestyle & Self-Worth
- Heart Disease & Breast Cancer
- Recognize National Immunization Awareness Month in August
- Share information with club and community members on various topics from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), such as disease and conditions, healthy living, emergency preparedness, and more.
- Partner with a local assisted living home to provide senior exercise equipment.
- Educate, advocate, and/or donate during Mental Health Awareness month in May.
Please visit “Our Service and Impact” page to learn about specific ways the Sandy Springs Woman’s Club has served our local community.